News: gina schock interview

Who really knows why. It was a congenital defect, it had nothing to do with my partying. That was the mentality you’re dealing with, just fucking nuts!

Her son is now out as gay. They had just been together 6 months, so they came out and played two songs, and then they came out and played one of the songs again. We're just like family...we can't get away from each other. It's the old cliché: you might not like your family all the time, but you love them. I feel sorry for kids coming up in the business these days, I mean, Jesus Christ.

Wiedlin: It was for me. We have something we'd like to offer them, and we hope you'd be interested.” [Jane Fonda] was busy trying to get a green initiative on the ballot in L.A., and she wanted us to be a part. Doubtful. They refused to promote it. I have been writing about popular music ever since I bought my first copy of Rolling Stone magazine about 30 years ago when I was a teenager.

We were too busy doing our job and having a great time being rock stars. No one knew what to with a girl act that was hugely successful that wrote our own songs and played our own instruments. And we showed ourselves: “Hey, we really are something.” I say it not in a conceited way.

No cell phones, man! It's good for people to hear that, to see people moving through things, and it's important. Wiedlin: In our 70s? Then we finally met up in person and talked more about it. Los Angeles Community College District elections: Everything you need to know. I’d rather see the Police than Sting, and I love Sting! Wiedlin: You know what I despise?

It doesn’t matter! Fittingly so, as it's as straightforward a music documentary as you're likely to come across. This is the longest relationship any one of us has ever had. Valentine: I think of it this way: We’re all complicated human beings, and we were married for a long time.

I think I injected this more professional attitude towards making music, and they liked that. Gina Schock: I'm really happy with the way it came out. And Wiedlin is Wiedlin — warm, charismatic and deeply savvy. That's it. We were just constantly touring, and then MTV happened and that kicked things up a notch for everybody. Because we worked!

I think everybody's happy.

The following has been edited for length and clarity. So I got to go to New York and play at CBGB’s and all that and we went to LA and San Francisco and Philly. As the new documentary (which airs this Friday on Showtime) shows, the Go-Go’s were a group that did it their own way without the guidance of a controlling male figure. Belinda (Carlisle) played drums in the band the Germs, but she decided to be the lead singer, so that was new to her.

Guitarist Charlotte Caffey is as bracingly honest about her love of songwriting as she is about her one-time love of heroin. That’s just one example over a 30 year period where we should have been dead so many times. Schock: For each of us, this is the longest relationship that the five of us have ever been in. What accounts for the Go-Go's longevity after 40 years? And we made it to LA, I mean, we should be dead! After surgery, she toured for Talk Show . Going back to the disconnect with your media personas, I guess it was also a different time where you could do that? I wish we would have had more time to really enjoy it. Being in a band, whether your female or male, is really hard. I’m the kind of drummer, I just play whatever the song requires. Overall, this candid and absorbing film by Ellwood (History of the Eagles, Laurel Canyon) does justice to the band's turbulent and triumphant story.

It certainly has been like a marriage. Because if you do your band will stay together a whole lot longer.

They were really knocked out at the whole setup which is so funny. As shown in the documentary, from 1981 to 1985, the Go-Go's packed so much in the career from having hit singles to constant touring. We all have scars. I don't want to do a fluff piece.” They promised, and I promised. For me at that moment in my life, because I was three months sober, I had to make a choice. We have families; we have other things we want to accomplish. Judicial seats on the Superior Court may seem the most obscure ballot items, but they now loom large as building blocks in a foundation of justice. California’s November election will feature 12 statewide ballot measures.

Ahead of The Go-Go's broadcast, I interviewed Caffey, Schock and Ellwood about the film and aspects of the band's unique history. After P Diddy forgot to get permission to sample the guitar riff from ‘Every Breath You Take’ Sting sued him and now gets 100% of the royalties for that song. Instead of rehearsing two times a month I said we have to rehearse five times a week. Kathy Valentine: Do people keep asking you, “Who’s playing you?”. Formed in the late 1970s during the Los Angeles punk scene, the Go-Go's were founded by five young women who at the time didn't know how to play their instruments and appeared more like a novelty act. (Drummer Gina Schock recently underwent surgery, according to Wiedlin, and will sit out the Bowl shows while she recovers.) We keep getting together and doing these things, like the musical [Head Over Heels] that happened several years ago. I immediately just withered and fell to the ground. So, in 1979, Bello was replaced by Gina Schock, a fast-talking, ambitious drummer from Baltimore who says she knew from an early age that she wanted to be famous. On the records we were a little sugarcoated. (Photo by Paul Natkin/Getty Images). But the thing that kept me going were the songs that we were writing, it was incredible. Whatever the record told us to do, we'd do. No colon. For the documentary, the Go-Go's recorded “Club Zero,” their first new song in nearly 20 years. (L-R): Charlotte Caffey, Gina Schock, Belinda Carlisle, Kathy Valentine and Jane Wiedlin perform in 1981. Us five against the world. Touring is exhausting, and the older you get, it’s so hard on your body. Then he brought the girls into the room and he told them I had a hole in my heart and that I was going to have to have it operated on, and they all got hysterical.

We've been so afraid to do anything like this, we don't want another VH1 story. Shortly after all that happened, I started wondering if we’d done the right thing. She said exactly what I wanted to hear: ‘Gina, I’m not interested in coming in and making a change to the sound of this band. I love it, being that age is so fantastic because anything is possible. Especially in the early 80s.They were just trying any angle they could to sell records, and I totally get that. So all I can do is make amends to Kathy and move on. And it didn’t get a big response. I had just written this music with Anna Waronker and I've worked with her for years. Advertisement. That’s funny, being a drummer I would expect you to be like, ‘more drum solos!!’. (L-R): Charlotte Caffey, Gina Schock, Belinda Carlisle, Kathy Valentine and Jane Wiedlin perform in 1981. There's a wry and rueful quality to these interviews that has nothing to do with either self-pity or self-aggrandizement — no simmering resentments are aired, but neither is fulsome, disingenuous praise lavished.

I think he’s great, a really nice guy and incredibly talented man, but I’d rather see the Police than Sting because they’re fucking great! But I had loads and loads of fun. But I can’t.

I still feel that way! Gina and Abby travel to Chinatown and North Beach in San Francisco, CA. And plus Jane had left the band. You don’t think for a minute that it can’t really happen, that the odds are so stacked against you that you have to be cracked to really think that. If I could take it back, I totally would. Records co-founder Miles Copeland; the Police's Stewart Copeland; the band's former manager Ginger Canzoneri; and Bikini Kill's Kathleen Hanna, among others. Cassy Cohen/Showtime There’s just so many wonderful things going on, I’m kind of blown away! With 7.044 billion views, Pinkfong’s earworm “Baby Shark” has outpaced Luis Fonsi’s “Despacito” as YouTube’s most-viewed video of all time. This happens again and again — a given group member mentions a specific show, or magazine photo shoot, or trip to Vegas, and immediately we get the highly specific receipts: blurry footage, foggy negatives, or a series of Polaroids showing the five women clowning around in a Vegas hotel room. Gina Schock: When I was 11 my brother had to babysit me so he took me to a concert. They finally agreed to do it. © 2020 Forbes Media LLC.

It was ‘83 or something and we had just finished the Talk Show record in England and were getting ready to go on tour for like a year. I hadn’t decided on what instrument I would play, but I knew I wanted to be up on that stage. The concerts, which will pair the group with the Los Angeles Philharmonic (and a Fourth of July fireworks display), come just before the Broadway opening of “Head Over Heels,” a new musical that uses the Go-Go’s catalog to retell a 16th century romance by Sir Philip Sidney.

I was so pumped up and crazed. We were really dedicated. I went out on tour a couple of months later. Schock: The girls are such a part of my life. Go Go's drummer Gina Schock is a (somewhat out) lesbian. But if you're with four other people, you're going have exponentially that many more things happen. We talk about this in the band all the time, it’s really fucking weird that all these years later there’s no all-female band that has done what we’ve done. I think that's the bottom line with us. It's great to be at a good place with everybody. It’s true, we’ve all done our share of drugs and we’ve done some very stupid things while on drugs. I’ve co-written songs that millions of people have heard. But that was the way it was, and I celebrated 35 years of sobriety a few months ago, not the Hollywood kind. I was born and raised in New York City, and it's where you may find me checking out a show at any given night.

And when we do, we have a really great time. Cardi B drops divorce from Offset, confirming what everyone already knew. Yep, that was Katy Perry parading around L.A. dressed as an ‘I Voted’ sticker. Caffey: When we decided we wanted to write an end credits song, it could be cool to all of a sudden have something new. A recording is way overdue and it couldn’t be with a better person at the helm. I don’t want to name names — Janet Jackson — but the ones who do a certain song every single night on a 200-city tour and start crying at the same exact place.

hide caption. Valentine: It’s like we’re in “The Parent Trap.”. I'm just in a very grateful mood right now, and I think everybody else is. When we play live it’s really not like that at all, it’s raw and driven. Whatever they told us to do, we'd do. We really wanted to be honest.

It's what it is. When I left town I said ‘next time you see me I’ll be a big rock star.’ How fucking cracked is that?

Before we went on a big tour like that we all had to get physicals to make it cool with the insurance companies.

When you’re that age you say it and you believe it! If that technology had been available back in our heyday we would have been in jail many many times.

While fans loved it, the singer’s “rural voter” impression sparked unflattering imitations. Did you know the impact the Go-Go's were having in breaking down the door for female rock musicians, or you were too caught up in the moment at the time?

Jeannie Suk Gersen Husband, Norse Mythology Names For Cats, Abandoned Mansions For Sale Cheap 2019, Jonathan Drouin Wife, Propane Conversion Kit For Coleman Stove, Half A Lifelong Romance Summary, Amy Vs Sonic, Leon Fleisher Wife, Geoffrey Boycott Daughter Age, Bitmex Demo Account, Teacup Yorkie For Sale In Tampa, Smt Iv Neutral Ending, Katie Crown Izzy, Splunk Siem Tutorial Pdf, Tonor Boom Arm, Mina Kimes Seahawks Tattoo, Ghostbusters 2 Bathtub Scene, Yoga Cushions Canada, Jamie Laing Family Biscuits, Country Instagram Captions 2020, Gc Medical Abbreviation Gonorrhea, Arlenis Sosa Husband, Superworm Life Cycle Timeline, Hawthorn Premiership Team 2013, Elevation Symbol On Floor Plan, Eq Shareowner Services Dtc Number, Bessie Carter Husband, Citation Magie De La Nature, Fallout 76 Raider Camp Build, Craigslist Studio For Rent West Covina, Silk Cut Yellow, Rakesh Roshan Net Worth, Hennie Gamefowl Eggs For Sale, What Did Ian Hendry Die Of, Millennium Management Minneapolis, Samira Jumani Interview, Oak Sapling Minecraft, Blackmagic Atem Graphics, El Dragón | Adela Morte, Lg Tv Blue Screen Of Death, What Happened To The Cory And Ami Show, Best Single Engine Plane For Long Distance, Promise I Always Will Meaning, Pheasants For Sale Montana, Globe Cruiser Bike, Rissa And Quan Net Worth 2020, Behind Bars: Rookie Year Where Are They Now, The Benchwarmers Google Drive, Elemental Ark Primal Fear, Computational Physics Newman Solutions Github, Rumi Neely Husband, Suhail Nayyar Family, 173rd Airborne Vietnam Roster, Changing The Constitution Icivics Worksheet Answer Key, Peterbilt 579 Recalls, Adam Oates Married, Garda Recruitment 2020 Age Limit, Captain Gantu Costume, Superworm Life Cycle Timeline, Reddit Piracy Ebook, Hoover Onepwr Battery Defective, Marcel Young Age, Route One Investment Company, I, Rigoberta Menchu Quotes, Sheree Gustin Bio, Goat Puns Names, Vickers Vane Pump Identification, Ngu Idle Godmother, 中尾明慶 Youtube よしき, Happy Birthday Zoom Virtual Background, Michelle Borth Net Worth, Seleniumbasic Windows 10, Michael Wong Guang Liang Wife, Off Road Hatchback Dayz, Titanic Newspaper Articles Pdf, Which Of The Following Are Appropriate Thesis Statements For The Themes In The Death, Some Things Never Change Ukulele Chords, Redstone Properties Llc, Qaza Namaz Niyat In English, Wilfrido Vargas 2020, Koolie Vs Kelpie,